Wednesday, February 8, 2012

We're Here!

*The internet is super slow at our hotel, so not sure how many pics will load up.*
Good evening from Paradise! We landed in Brisbane yesterday afternoon and so far so good! Our flight from Vancouver was a breeze thanks to some immovane. Luckily we had a night flight, so by the time we arrived we weren't too jet lagged. I believe we are eighteen hours ahead from Edmonton, so I am writing from the future!
We rented a car at the airport and I'm so glad! We have so much luggage it would have been a nightmare to carry it on the train. Joel adjusted pretty well to driving on the left side of the road. The only thing he had trouble with was the signals- they are on opposite sides fhen in Canada so every time he signaled he turned on the wiper blades.

It was sunny when we arrived but when we arrived in Surfers Paradise it was clouding up. Our hotel is nice but has no elevator, so we had to carry three fifty pound suitcases and golf clubs up three flights of stairs (well Joel did, I took the carry on size stuff). Our hotel is nice and has a huge balcony with a view of downtown Surfers. After settling in we decided to cruise around and check out our new home. We did check out the beach, but it starting raining so we didn't go in the water.


We also had our first grocery experience. I heard mixed reviews on the prices, so here's the truth! If you go to a large supermarket, it's basially the same as home. If you go to a corner convenience store, it is way more. (I will post some receipts later for anyone curious). We also stopped for booze. My bottle of champagne (would I drink anything else?) was twelve dollars (this is including tax) and Joel's six pack of Heineken was about the same. Something cool here- some restaurants allow you to bring in your own booze! We found a nice Italian place nearby and I enjoyed my champagne thinking of my Mom (champagne is our thing).


This morning we were greeted at six am by bright sun in our windows. We headed out for breakfast, then it was time to get down to business! First stop- ANZ bank to open our own Aussie bank accounts. My Opi would be proud- he told us to check them out as he had an account with them thirty years ago and they had awesome interest. They still do today at 4.9%. I got a pink card. When we got back to the car we had a parking ticket!
Next stop was the mall for phones. Our GPS, Melba, is outdated so this took some "recalculating". Once there we got pay as you go plans with Virgin. Joel got a cheapie phone. I had my LG unlocked before leaving home, but when I put in my new SIM it is still locked to Rogers! So no texting me yet, sorry.
In the afternoon we looked at our first apartment. It was a total dive, despite what the realtor said. We have two showings booked for tomorrow and a few more next week, so fingers crossed.
Currently Joel is cooking dinner and this evenings plans are to write resumes, check out salons and look at cars for sale.
Oh, I almost forgot! Here are the top news stories for today- 1)a bank was robbed by a lady wearing a straw hat with black paint on her face. 2) a bottle bin was robbed by an old man. I thought that was funny compared to all the murders in Edmonton!

8 comments:

  1. You should get joel to text me and my parents LOL.
    We've been checking the blog constantly to see if there was a new post. I miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH!! And I got my learners yesterday!! I drove to school this morning. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad you arrived without delays..love your blog..sounds like you settled in nice..love and hugs always mom and dad..

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you guys got there without any problems

    ReplyDelete
  5. VV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you!
    What hotel are you at? I stayed in a really nice high rise there down town.. but I'm sure it must have have had an elevator... can't recall the name.
    There is also this crazy dinner theater there that you must go to!!! Find it. go to it.Laugh. Enjoy.
    Also can you eat some potato wedges with sweat chili sauce and sour cream? that's another thing I liked to do there.
    I miss you and I wish i was there. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, it is so cold here you sure are not missing anything here..the sun is shining though..love you and miss you..

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry it's late but happy belated anniversary guys

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi joel and victoria..i am so very proud of both of you..it is hard being away with no family around..but we are always with you..just enjoy your life there..your feelings are all part of experiencing life..be strong and you will get through anything..before you know it you will be back in canada and only memories of your experience..we love you..have fun..

    ReplyDelete