Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Total Downgrade and Sights of Surfers

Don't laugh...


Introducing...



BRUTIS!!!!!!!


Yes, this is our loser new car! It's a 1990 Subaru Touring wagon. My Dad thinks this is especially funny for two reasons: one- I hate white cars, and two- my Mom used to have a Subaru wagon (called Snoopy) that I used to hate so much I'd kick the tires every day in hopes that it would die. (It eventually got hit and was written off to my great joy).
Let it be known, I had no say in the choosing of this car. Joel found it on Gumtree. It was a cheap price and in good condition mechanically. He thought the wagon would be good for lugging all our stuff around (since it was a tight squeeze in our standard size rental car). The previous owner dropped it off at four yesterday, which was too late to get registration and plates. Since Joel started work today, I got the lucky job of taking care of this and returning the rental car. Last night we headed to a parking lot so I could practice shifting, reversing and parking (since everything is backwards to what it is at home).
My first mission this morning was to get car insurance. The bright side of having a POS car? Our insurance is only $17 a month! Next stop was to the Queensland Motor Vehicles and Registration Office. I reversed perfectly out of our stall (I wish someone saw!) then headed out. Melba was in a bad mood today and majorly mislead me. Eventually I made it to the registry office, only to learn I had to go get proof of address from the bank, to show I'm now a Queensland resident. By this time I was getting PO'd with Brutis- the gear shift is pretty touchy so it's hard to tell the difference between first and third. Also he is very noisy when you rev the engine, but has no power. So to the bank, more struggle with Melba, back to the registry, fill in forms, wait in line. Now Brutis is registered with plates.


Then I went to Audi and swapped Brutis with the rental car. More misleading info from Melba as I looked for a gas station to refuel at. Finally returned the rental, enough driving for one day for me! But I'm proud to say I can drive a right hand drive standard on the left side of the road!
I went for lunch at Starbucks, then walked around Surfers looking for jobs. I learned that in the last few months the recession has hit Queensland. I guess tourism has suffered as less Brits have been coming over due to their low pound. That explains why so many stores and salons are now up for lease.
I was able to take a few shots of some of the major sights in Surfers. This giant Ferris wheel gives great views of the city. It seems to run at very odd hours of the day and night. It gets lit up with white lights when it's dark outside and looks pretty cool. There is also a slingshot ride.


The Q1 building. It is the world's second tallest residential tower (after one in Dubai) at 77 stories high. There's an observation deck up top, which is lit up in different colors each night. You can climb from the 77th floor to the top spire!


Interesting facts from the grocery store:
1- Eggs are not refrigerated. No one knows why.
2- You cannot buy Kraft Dinner or Hamburger Helper here, however they do sell Old El Paso Taco supplies
3- Rice Krispies are called Rice Bubbles

No comments:

Post a Comment