Friday, February 24, 2012

Possible News and Aussie Fashion

The last two days have been cloudy and rainy. I woke up this morning to a torrential downpour and decided to stay home and play on Pinterest instead of job hunting (especially since yesterday was filled with "not hiring now, don't even bother applying"). I got a good news text from Joel- Audi is looking for a receptionist! So I typed up a new resume fitted for a reception position and emailed it in. I also had an email response from one of the salons I'd applied at with a contact name and number to call and set up an interview. I decided I should get myself out of bed and be productive, so I called and had my very first interview today! It went really well and I got a good vibe from the salon. I go in tomorrow for a "trial day". I'll do a haircut and color and see how it goes! This salon operates differently then at home. I'd either be a colorist or a stylist, not both. Not sure which I'd choose as I like them both equally. I asked about work attire and the owner says to think of it as a "day club" and dress like I was going out, wear as short of skirt as I like (this is common in Australia for clothing- the shorter the better!). Now don't jump to conclusions, the staff there were not dressed like hooches, just very trendy. I'm excited for a potential job but also a little nervous! I've been at the same salon for so long that it will feel different to become part of a different niche.
After my interview I decided to wander through some of the shops, so I thought I'd blog about what's in style here right now. Some of the stores in Surfers main strip are pretty junky, but there's a mall near us called Pacific Fair that has some neat shops. Sadly there is no BCBG in Australia, but I did find a department store called Myer that I'm in love with (they also carry my Benefit mascara, which I didn't think I could get here!)
As far as clothing goes, the big color here right now is orange. Not scary orange, but tangerine. I am not usually an orange fan, but I am loving this color and am going to buy myself a tangerine dress when I find the right style! It looks awesome paired with navy, camel or light brown accessories.


There are pretty little printed dresses everywhere, in light, flowing materials and bright colors. They are almost always worn with a belt.



I've also noticed alot of girls wearing striped dresses and tops.
As far as shoes go, the big trend is suede. There are tons of strappy wedge sandals, colorful peep toe stilettoes (some color blocked), and little ankle booties. I wish I brought my grey Express booties now for fall! Mom, you might have to send them to me.




For accessories, the biggest thing is belts. Big or little, it doesn't matter. Lots of light brown colors and navy. Feathers are everywhere on earrings and necklaces.




Although it's stays pretty warm here all year, the locals notice "the cool down" in winter and there are tons of awesome printed tights around! I hate wearing tights in our winter because it's too cold to walk around outside, but here I'm all for it!


I can't wait till I have a job and get my first paycheck, I'm definitely going shopping!
I did a very Australian thing on my walk home today- I walked barefoot. I think this is really gross but people here do it in stores, restaurants or on the streets, it doesn't matter. The only reason I did it was because it was raining so hard my feet were getting wet and sliding out of my stilletoes. My feet did not feel nice and I will not be doing this again. If I have to be walking on rainy days I will be buying a pair of rain boots!

No comments:

Post a Comment