Monday, February 13, 2012

I Hate Aussie Internet!

Today was a bit of a frustrating day. We started by looking at two more places- one super tacky, the other very nice. One of the realtors was a bit slow and thought our accents sounded British. Right... We put an offer on the nice one so now are waiting to hear back on two places, hopefully by tomorrow. I'm ready to unpack my suitcase! I applied at two salons. I'm a bit disappointed, half the salons I've looked at online are now out of business!
Next we went back to Australia Fair, a nearby mall. I actually hate it, it's very ugly. We tried to get an internet stick (hotels here don't have wi-fi and stupid Jimojo is too expensive). Since we have no address yet we can not get one! Joel was getting annoyed now. We wanted to apply for jobs, so found a McDonalds (they all have free wi-fi) to search the net at. Since we were there I decided I deserved a McFlurry. They didn't have my usual oreo, but I could choose from marshmallow, bubblegum, or double fudge. I went for the fudge. The fudge was hot! It cost me double the price as at home.


Anyway, the internet didn't work! Now Joel was pretty PO'd. We tried another McD's, still no luck. So off to Starbucks. However as Melba is outdated, she took us to a random office, not a Starbucks. By now Joel was miserable so we gave up. To lift our spirits, we headed out to Robina. They have a fancy mall there. We were able to get an internet stick there! Unfortunately the stores all close at 5:30, so that was all the shopping we got done. We did however get massages from the mall massage chairs- much needed!!! Anyway, this mall looks pretty awesome, Southgate beware!!! The only store they are missing is BCBG, but I am told there is one somewhere in Australia.


Tonight we went back to our favorite Italian takeaway restaurant. Got some good wine at our liquor store. Who told me booze was expensive here??? My wine was eight bucks- good yellowtail stuff too!
On Saturday night we did end up going out. We walked from our hotel on Chevron Island to downtown Surfers. (We are actually in Gold Coast City but no one calls it that. The neighborhood you're in counts as your area). We found a nice Italian place and had a great supper. Dad, just want you to know, our dinner was only $60 at this nice place! That includes two glasses of booze each, an ap and dessert. Pretty happy when that bill came out! And no tipping the waiters here!


Yesterday we didn't do too much as it was Sunday and most things are closed. We went for a few more groceries at Coles. They don't have any of the laundry soaps or toilet paper we're used to at home, so had to try something new. Then we drove out to Broadbeach (the neighborhood south of Surfers) and walked down the beach. It is not as blue as the Carribean, but the water sure feels nice. It was good just to hear the crashing of the waves.

We both started getting a little panicky last night. We still don't have jobs, a home, or a car yet. We have to check out of our hotel on Wednesday. Today we get the car rental extended for another week. I printed out resumes and every salon in Surfers so tomorrow I hit the streets!

1 comment:

  1. that is too bad that you are going through some rough patches. Just keep your wits about you and everything will work out. Sending you positive energy and lots of love. Happy Anniversary to you both

    ReplyDelete