Monday, September 3, 2012

Life Is Good Today


This morning I had a trial day at one of the salons I interviewed at last week.  I had two models, a short and longer cut.  My short haired model was a random guy we met on the street, my long model Joel's golf partner from Saturday (oh look, golf does come in handy once in awhile!).  Model one went awesome, two was super picky and the manager gave me a few suggestions, so I was worried I didn't get the job.  But I totally did!!!  Praise Allah!  The manager, Stephen says I'm a "born hairstylist" and that he likes my work, but there's room for improvement.  He likes my personality and how I am with clients.   Felt awesome to hear these compliments from such an accomplished stylist (he's worked all over the world and does most of the GQ Australia styling).  I start tomorrow morning.  I'll be working Monday-Friday (what, Saturdays off!?).  Originally I was going to work Tuesday- Saturday, but Stephen thinks we gel well and wants me to work with him on Mondays.  I'm so excited!!!!  For anyone interested the salon is called Detail for Men.  I'll be getting paid WAY more then I expected, but will also be working forty-four hour weeks, which will be tough to get used to after my barely twenty hours on the Gold Coast.  I'll get super pay (retirement funds), sick day and vacation pay (WHOA!) and tons of training.  Once a month I'll have a one on one with Stephen and a model which is pretty cool.  This salon is primarily for men, but there are lady clients too.  I am going to learn so much here and can't wait to expand my skills.

The salon is in the CBD and super close to the harbor, so when I was finished I walked over to the Opera House and was lucky enough to skype into my cousin's wedding reception back home.  Congrats Jen and John!!!  Looks like it was a pretty fun party.  I got to congratulate the new couple and see some friends and family I haven't talked to since January, which was pretty special.  Love the magic of skype.  



If you look closely you can just make out John and Jen.
Just waiting for Joel to get home (he must love this job already as he's working overtime tonight) and we can get our new place finalized!  The place we are in now is so gross (more on that later) and after an incident on Saturday night we are getting out of here asap!

1 comment: