Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Weekend


I had my first normal person weekend, with a Saturday off!  I celebrated by staying up as late as I could on Friday, watching my new favorite Aussie shows Puberty Blues and Don't Tell the Bride online with Joel.  I intended to sleep in on Saturday, but Joel woke me up at nine o'clock.  This is the first weekend he hasn't been up early to golf, which means we got to hang out!  After breakfast at McDonald's we took the train into the city to the Museum of Sydney.  They had a special exhibit on called "On the Home-front", which was all about war time Sydney.   I saw this advertised and had to see it, as I really don't know much about Australia's role in WWII and am interested in that era.  There were all kinds of war time paraphernalia (including wedding dresses, ration books and gas masks) and real people's stories of life in that time.  I didn't know this, but Sydney Harbour was actually attacked by Japanese submarines.  It was unsuccessful, but it really brought the war home for most people.  There were also a series of letters from soldiers to loved ones back home.  My favorite was a display written to a popular pin up girl.  Single soldiers with no one to write home to would write to her, with hopes that she would write back and help keep their spirits up.  Some of the letters were funny to read, with soldiers describing themselves to her.  Even though she was married, she did write back to them all.  Awesome exhibit and I was glad we checked it out!


 We had a nice afternoon walking around the city and enjoying the sunshine.  Spring is officially here!  Also have the train system figured out now.  It works very similar to the NYC system.  It's very easy to get around and ticket prices are reasonable.  The station we got on and off  had a vintage look like some of the ones in NYC, so had to get a picture for Dewey!  She will be proud of my mad train taking skills.


 After getting everything unpacked in the evening, we ordered pizza and hung out with our new room mate Florian.  He is so cool!  Had all kinds of German beers for us to try out, then later busted out some oven fresh pretzels!  I think we stayed up till two am talking with him.  He's a very interesting guy and works as a photographer, so does all kinds of cool travel.

This morning we had more of  sleep in and went for breakfast at a neighborhood cafe.  There are so many neat little restaurants around, am really excited to explore the area and find our favorites.  Looks like there are quite a few yoga and pilates studios around, so I'm going to try and join up at one.  Joel has not found a home golf course yet, but is out this afternoon testing out a new one!

I am really loving living in Sydney.  It's such an amazing place and there is just so much to see and do.  I feel very at home.  My opinion of Australia has done a three-sixty in the time we've been here.  Much more what I expected life to be like.  I definitely recommend making a trip here if possible. 

1 comment: