Saturday, September 15, 2012

Bronte to Bondi Cliff Walk


Our weekend got off to an early start- with a two am phone call!  We figured it had to be someone from back home, and sure enough it was Dean calling to plan their trip.  Joel talked to him for a bit, then told him to call back during our regular waking hours.  We went back to sleep and at nine were more awake to discuss things.  Joel was able to get off the whole three weeks that Dean and Alana are here off from work.  I wasn't, as there are some other girls away at that time, but hopefully will be able to get off an extra day for a long weekend trip to Queenstown, New Zealand.  It's going to be a pretty action packed trip!  I still have some research to do, but more or less have the itinerary planned.  Stay tuned for the full schedule.

This afternoon I did the Bronte Beach to Bondi cliff walk.  I've had quite a few clients recommend it and thought since it was a nice day I should go for it.  It did not disappoint!  Sydney's beaches are not a long strip like at the Gold Coast.  They are broken up by cliffs and rocks.  This walk takes you on a path right along the coast, up and down the cliffs and past various rock formations.  The full walk is 5.5 km and goes from Cogee to Bondi.  I decided on doing half and took the bus to Bronte, then walked up to Bondi.  Bronte is a pretty sweet beach, think I'll be coming back here again.





 And onwards to Bondi...


 

The famous Iceberg Pools and RSL Club.  Pretty cool huh?  I'm totally coming for drinks here sometime.




On my way home I made a random new friend at the train station.  I've been buying weekly train passes to get to work, but on Thursday bought one finishing at the wrong stop.  I had to get my ticket reissued and instead of a pass I can swipe in and out with, they had to reissue me a paper ticket.  This means I have to physically find a transport officer before entering and exiting the station to let me in and out of the gate (annoying).  On my way to Bondi the ticket guy at Redfern (my station) I found was pretty chatty.  He was still there when I came back and remembered me, and since he was bored decided we should have a chat.  He even gave me his special fob to open the gates for passengers and said if I needed a job I'm hired.  Ha!  After ten minutes he finally let me go, then walked me out of the station and said to come find him if I ever needed anything.  My random Sydney story.

We now have an official "place" that we like to eat.  When we first got here we happened on a restaurant called Time for Thai.  (They have peanut free options so I won't die!)  We went again tonight and it was so good and well priced.  It's similar to our favorite place in Edmonton, Matahari.

I've discovered why Aussie's whinge so much about the "cold" in their homes.  They only have single paned windows!  This isn't as insulating as our good old Canadian double or triple panes.  Hey Oz- clue into double pane and your homes will stay warmer in winter and cooler in summer!  But then they'd have one less thing to complain about...

1 comment:

  1. Those beaches look so amazing! Are you getting used to all the beautiful beaches and coastlines there, or are they all still pretty fabulous and new?!

    That pool looks amazing...you must go there!

    That IS a random (funny) story!

    ReplyDelete