Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sydney, I'm In Love!


On Monday night I flew down to Sydney and I was instantly in love!  Even in the dark of night it is an amazing place.  Dad picked me up at the airport and we drove into the harbor to check out the Harbor Bridge and Opera House lit up by night.  That bridge is huge!  The neighborhood around it is called The Rocks and was one of Sydney's first suburbs.  It still has lots of old buildings and I could truly imagine what it would have been like walking around the streets when the city was still new.  Around the Opera House there are tons of restaurants and lounges.  We lucked out and found a twenty four hour diner (it was eleven pm on a Monday so most places were no longer serving food).



We were up bright and early in the morning.  As I had a six pm flight that night we had to make the most of my day!  After a filling breakfast we took the bus into the CBD to explore.  First stop was the Queen Victoria Building.  This is now a shopping center but in the past has been home to all sorts of different things, including a concert hall and library.  It has tons of stained glass and cool, giant clocks hanging from the ceilings.  It was rainy and cold and I didn't want to ruin my tan BCBG pumps, so I got a new pair of Ugg boots!  They have leopard print on the back- balla!

After that we walked back to the harbor to check out the Opera House and Bridge by day.  The Opera House is actually three separate buildings, although it looks like one.  The largest one is the main theater, then there is a second, smaller theater and a restaurant. 




We explored the The Rocks neighborhood a bit, then walked the bridge.   There is a museum and look out point in one of the pilons which Dad and I climbed up to (200 stairs).  Awesome views of the city.  There was also a group of climbers going across the bridge.  I learned that the bridge was opened in 1932, after over one hundred years or proposed building plans, and created many jobs for the unemployed during the Great Depression.





It didn't take as long as I thought to walk across.  We stopped for lunch, checked out Sydney's Luna Park, then took to ferry back to where we were staying in Balmain before it was time to head to the airport (there are tons of ferries connecting different points along the harbor).  On the way out we made one last stop at Bondi Beach.  The weather was crappy, but it looks like a pretty nice beach. 


At the airport I said my goodbyes (again) to Mom and Dad and checked into my flight.  I learned that on domestic flights within Australia you can bring as much liquid/gels/creams as you like in your carry on, as well as shaving razors!  Once again, no one asked to see any ID.  Sydney airport also has free wine tasting stations, so I had a little mosacto before my flight.

I had such an awesome day with just me and my parents exploring Sydney.  I'm glad I got to have one last day with them to enjoy their company!  Love you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment