Sunday, April 15, 2012

Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary

Today we drove down to the Currumbin Wildlife Center to see some animals! It was a grey and rainy day, but I wanted to see koalas so bad I couldn't wait another week for better weather. I may have over posted with the pictures here, but I am in love with koalas! They are so cute and I loved watching them hang out.




Can you spot them all sleeping in the trees?


You could have your photo taken with them too. Of course I had to have one taken, in order to hold a little friend! The keepers use this umbrella looking tool to take them down from the trees. Sometimes they rebel and climb away, so it can take a few minutes to catch one. This one's name is Sunny and he is a baby. He's just being trained but was very friendly. He was so soft to touch and felt nice in my arms to snuggle. I wish I could take him home with me!








This is a Tasmanian Devil. He just briefly came out of his hole for some food. I believe they are on the verge of becoming an endangered species.


There was a big kangaroo park and you could walk amongst the kangaroos. They are very friendly (ones in the wild aren't) and come right up to you to say hello! Likely they are expecting food, as you can buy feed and feed them. There were two types here, Eastern Greys and Red Kangaroos.








This guy was getting a little frisky...


A tree kangaroo.


Cassowary!!! These birds are so creepy looking. They are the second largest non-flying bird and are super dangerous! They attack.


A dingo. Basically a feral dog. He kept running around so I couldn't get a good picture.


Creepy emu. This guy just walks around the park. He makes weird, low grunting noises. We didn't like him.


There are tons of birds at the center too. Most of them just walk or fly around, but some are in cages. There is a lorikeet feeding, but we were too tired to watch so headed home (luckily because it started pouring rain once we got in the car). We also saw some snakes (in glass cages), lizards, crocodiles, and frogs. There are more animals but alot were hiding out due to the yucky weather. I saw my koalas and kangaroos so I'm satisfied for awhile!

Last night we went out to Envy in Broadbeach with Hamish and Michelle. Michelle loves to dance (especially to her fav singer, Rihanna) so we spent most of the night ripping up the dance floor. We even made a random new friend who danced with us all night (until she met a guy and left). Later we headed to McDonalds for some french fries (awesome at two am!), then walked home in the rain singing old school pop songs. We took many "special" photos, but I'll leave you with my favorite...


No comments:

Post a Comment