Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Anzac Day

I have the day off today as Australia is celebrating Anzac Day (Australia New Zealand Armed Corps).  It's their version of Remembrance Day.  It happens every April 25, which marks the anniversary of the Anzacs arriving at Gallipoli (in Turkey).  This was a long lasting attack with large numbers of Australian and New Zealand casualties.  The plan was to invade Gallipoli, but the Allies were unsuccessful.  It was a big deal in Oz and NZ as this was the first battle that they had lost so many men.
The day starts somewhere between four and five am with a Dawn Service (symbolizing the time soldiers arrived at Gallipoli).  They are apparently pretty cool to go and watch, but with my cold I really did not feel like getting up that early to check it out.  Later on there are parades of veterans and current military members.  The bigger cities televise their parades.  After eleven the pubs open and everyone heads over to play Two-Up.  This is a betting game based on flipping pennies and guessing which outcomes they will land on.  It was played by soldiers during the first war and Anzac Day is the only day it's legal to play this game.  Not sure why it's illegal every other day, seems pretty harmless, but everyone seems pretty excited to play it today!  (Maybe the gambling gets a little out of hand- the Aussies are known to be big betters and bet on EVERYTHING!  There are pokies, like VLT's, at every corner.)

I'm still sick so my big plans for the day are to sleep and rest in bed.  Joel is out golfing.  I'm becoming a golf widow!  I wanted to do some house cleaning (this smaller space seems so cluttered and drives me nuts! I always feel the need to be tidying or rearranging) but I have the chills and not much energy so think I'll just stay where I am.

I've done alot of reading the past few days.  Last time I was at the library I found some Aussie authors as I wanted to feel more immersed in Australian culture.  I finished a book last night called Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty that was so good!  I know all the little "Aussie-isms" they talk about!

No comments:

Post a Comment