Friday, January 11, 2013

On The Train...


Thought I'd do a little ode to the train and Sydney transit.  It stressed me out in the morning when it's full of commuters, relaxes me when it takes me home from work in the evenings, and makes me text everyone I know when I'm coming home from a night of drinking.

For me it is quite a convenient system.  (However I'm told that this is not the case when you live outside the central area of the city).  It's a ten minute walk to Redfern, the nearest station, and I can get anywhere I want on one direct train line.  Getting into the city takes ten minutes or less.  I usually buy a weekly pass from Redfern to Wollstonecraft (where Christina lives and I spend most weekends) and it costs me $26 (single return fare is $4.60).  This allows me to travel as much as I want between these stations, which allows me all of the city and North Sydney stops.  However if I wanted to go out to Bondi, I would have to buy a separate ticket as it is not on my route.  Annoying and odd.  Another way Oz rips you off I guess.   The trains here run only till one am.  Not convenient on a weekend.  When the trains is ready to depart a train officer comes out and blows an annoying whistle to signal the driver it's safe to close the doors.  Watch out for this if you're walking past said officer.  

Historic fact: the first underground train stations were opened in 1926 and are still kept fairly vintage looking.  There were previous stations above ground prior (including a mortuary station that is currently under refurbishment) but sounds like the underground line through the city is what really connected them all together.  Redfern was built in 1906.

My homestation, Redfern


Train arriving at Martin Place.  They all have two levels.  Some are newer then others.  New ones have AC and nicer seats.  Old ones smell like homeless people and are covered in graffiti.
Most of the city stations feature the stations name in big letters on the wall so you know where you're at.  Martin Place is where I catch the train to and from work.
Train schedule at Redfern
Inside of an old train
City rail map

1 comment:

  1. Cool post! I really liked Chicago's train system. We only took it that one time, but it's fun to ride up above the streets and behind all the old buildings!

    ReplyDelete