Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Let's Go Surfing


I had a surf lesson at Maroubra Beach this afternoon.  I had been surfing before in Hawaii, exactly ten years ago (!), and thought while I had the time off it would be cool to say I'd surfed in Oz.

I picked Maroubra Beach instead of the typical Bondi because it was half the price.  $55 for a two hour surf lesson?  That's a good deal.  There were five others in my class.  We started on the beach getting to know the basics.  This was boring because I remembered all this from before.  I just wanted to get in the water!  (Especially since we had to wear black, full bodied wetsuits and it was thirty degrees).  There were tons of blue bottled jelly fish on the beach so our instructor had to give a lesson on what to do if one attached to you.  These guys can't kill you, but they do sting and it does hurt.

Once we got in the water I had no problem standing up on my board, just knowing which waves were good to catch and when to start paddling.  Maroubra is a good beach for beginners as it has a pretty gentle swell.  I didn't feel as much of a rush as I did when I was surfing last.  Maybe because at sixteen I wanted nothing more then to be a surfer and I was fulfilling my teenage dream?

Two hours ended up being too long for me and I got bored.  Next time I would just rent a board as opposed to a lesson so I could ride as long or as short as I please. 

I have two more days left in Sydney and I've run out of things to do!  I've crossed off everything that was on my "To See" list.  I'm all packed and have a big pile of clothes to take to Goodwill.  Now I'm just getting antsy and anxious to leave!


No comments:

Post a Comment