Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Paid Vacation


Freedom has never tasted so sweet!  Great start to my "holiday"by a beautiful day at the beach.  We went down to Bronte beach with Christina and Josh and were lucky enough to find a shady area.  Still love this beach- the water is a nice color and the sand white.  It isn't as soft as the Caribbean but one of my favorites in Oz.  It was super busy today.  We had to drive around for twenty minutes looking for parking and had a long walk from the car to the beach.



On the walk back to the car we walked past a cool ceremony, Waverly Cemetary.  It sits on a cliff and looks right over the water.  Tons of old graves (1877) with intricately designed tomb stones.  There are many prominent people buried here, such as a former Oz PM and some US civil war veterans.  Recently it was used for filming in the upcoming "Great Gatsby" movie.



 Yesterday I went to meet with Elaine for brunch then headed to the Rocks again.  I had to meet with someone who bought my fall coat on gumtree (score!) and wondered through an area I've not yet explored.  So many hidden little areas here.


 

Random installation art. 




On the way back to the train in Circular Quay I stopped at Customs House.  Formally a customs point, it is now part of the NSW library.  They have a miniature mock up of Sydney displayed under glass floor.  My pics didn't turn out well but it was pretty cool.
 



There's Circular Quay!
View from the second level



I started going through some stuff last night to start packing and came across all my mail.  I didn't realize I had received so much!  Thanks to all my penpals xoxo.



1 comment:

  1. Are those people in the yellow & red lifeguards? Are the beaches busy all the time, even during the week?

    Cool cemetery! In that second picture it looks like it just drops off into nothingness!

    What a mixture of buildings!

    That model is amazing! When we were in Chicago we found a similar one of the city. It was fun to be able to see where we had been, all laid out in front of us. But not under the floor! That's so cool!!!

    ReplyDelete