Monday, January 21, 2013

Australia- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly


When we first came to Australia we really didn't know much about the country aside from the stories we'd heard from our friends and families experiences.  We planned on making good money (everyone said how high the wages are) and seeing the whole country.  Wages can be better, but you've got to be able to find a job first!  We didn't do any research on our first city, the Gold Coast, just knew it was summer and a great beach all year long.  I wish I would have looked into the city a little more because there was not much of a job market for me and besides the beach, golf, and party lifestyle there's not alot going on up there.  Moving to Sydney was a savior for me, much more my style and so much to see and experience.  We were hesitant to move here in the first place because everyone kept saying how expensive it is to live there.  Well it is expensive, but so is the rest of the country.  Sydney and the other bigger cities are where the jobs are.  Both of us found good paying jobs within a week and had other offers.  Living here gave me totally different perspective of Australia.  We lived in Oz for almost a year.  If I could have changed things I would have spent the whole time living and working in Sydney, then traveling the rest of the country when I could.  Moneywise we would have been alot better off this way.

Now that our year is over I thought I'd summarize the highs and lows of the trip, what I'd recommend future travelers to visit or to skip, as well as an honest opinion of life in Oz.

My Favorite Oz Experiences:

 Sydney
  If you can only see one city in Oz this is it!  I fell in love with this city and could go on and on about it for hours.  The beautiful harbor, the bridge and Opera House, the old, historic buildings mixed with the new skyscrapers, the fabulous beaches, the culture, entertainment and fabulous restaurants, this city has it all.

The Barossa Valley
Even though I was here in winter it is still such a beautiful place.  There are over eighty-five wineries to explore and they are all have free tastings!  And Jacob's Creek is here- best wine ever!!!  I could have just as easily visited the Hunter Valley near Sydney or the Yarra near Melbourne, but I wanted to come here as none of my friends had been.  The Barossa is near Adelaide, which is a smaller city, but I really enjoyed.

 Koala Cuddling
 You can't come to Oz and not do this!  They are so cute.  Make sure you visit a wildlife sanctuary so you can see all the native animals of Oz.

Great Ocean Road
Amazing strip of road just outside of Melbourne.  It's just one of those places that really makes you say "wow".  It's easy to get here from Melbourne, so if you are spending time there make sure you rent a car and take a day to do the drive.

Canberra
Most Australians hate this city, but I thought it was very pretty.  I like to make a point of visiting a country's capital city and the Parliament here is very different looking.  It's filled with museums that are all free and is laid out similarly to Washington DC.  From Sydney you can drive easily to Canberra and spend a day or two here, that's all you need.

Jervis Bay 
Two hours south of Sydney, this is the best beach in Australia!  Yes, it met up to my high standards.  White sand and turquoise waters.  It's a beautiful drive down through green hills and lush valleys.  There are many scenic lookout points and wineries around, so this would be a nice weekend getaway from Sydney.

New Zealand
I know this is not part of Oz but I enjoyed it alot more then many places here!  We spent a weekend in Queenstown and I fell in love.  It was such a beautiful place landscape-wise and there was so much to do.  If you are in Australia it is easy to hop on a plane and spend some time here.  Alternatively, book your return flight home from here and enjoy a pampered flight with Air New Zealand.


My Least Favorite Oz Experiences:

Queensland
  There are lots of nature and outdoor adventure things to see and do here.  If you know me at all that is the last thing I want to do, so this is why the state does not rank well for me (I am city girl through and through!).  The beaches are nice, but in my opinion not as good as my beloved Caribbean beaches.  Even going up to the world famous Whitsunday beaches didn't impress me as much as everyone said they would.  Brisbane, their biggest city, is pretty disappointing.  I never made it up north to Cairns, which everyone seems to love, but I thought if the Whitsundays weren't a highlight this probably wouldn't rank too high for me either.  If you like outdoor activities like sailing, snorkeling and bush walking and want to see the Great Barrier Reef, this is the place for you.  I have a very biased opinion on Queensland as I didn't enjoy living here at all and became very negative about everything.  Maybe if I'd just come as a traveler I would feel differently.

Nimbin
Everyone I talked to said to visit Nimbin.  Although it's  beautiful drive out, this place was a big disappointment.  There is nothing to do here and it's dirty.  Buy your special cookies elsewhere.

Long Roadtrips
Short trips here and there are fine, but if you do anything over three hours prepare for a nightmare.  Because of the heat driving here seems worse then back home.  Also speed limits aren't as high as in North America and tend to change alot in hopes you won't slow down and the police can ticket you.  Lots of times exciting road side attractions are few and far between.  Oz is a big country and people don't realize that.  Flights around the country are pretty reasonable (with Jet Star and Tiger) so save the stress and fly.

Large Roadside Attractions
You've got nothing on Alberta, Oz!

Budget Accomodation
We tried to cut down on costs in a few places and it was not worth it.  One night in a hostel is tolerable, but I need my own space and a clean shower that doesn't have someone else's hair on the walls.  We spent an awful first week in Sydney in a sharehouse and it was a nightmare.  I am too much of a princess.

Mixed Thoughts: 

Melbourne
I spent a few days here and am not sure what to think.  I didn't hate it, but didn't fall in love with it as much as Sydney.  It's one of those cities you get to love the more time you spend here.  It is definitely a place you should visit because there are some nice sights and there is alot to do, but I think a few days are sufficient.  The beach will disappoint you.

Byron Bay
This seems to be everyone's favorite place.  It is beautiful, but it just didn't amaze me as much as I thought.  Maybe because I only spent a day here and wasn't feeling that good?  The view from the lighthouse was spectacular, the beaches good but not my favorite.  If you're going to be up that way, for sure visit. 

Things I Wanted To See:

More of New Zealand
  Such a beautiful and amazing country and I don't know that I'll ever make it back.  Very different to Oz.  We had planned to spend our last ten days here originally, but things changed with all our visa complications and we didn't end up having the money.  I regret not spending more time here, but am glad I at least had a quick trip to Queenstown.  I'll never return to Oz, but NZ I would for sure.  I love the Kiwis!

Hobart, Tasmania
Convict island!  I really wanted to spend a weekend here in the summer, but again due to visa complications and money it didn't happen.  I had so many clients tell me what an interesting place it is.  Oh well.
Ayers Rock and The Outback 
 It doesn't get any more Aussie then this! The only reason we didn't end up going is because it is so expensive- return airfare for one is over a thousand dollars!

Darwin
I really only wanted to see Darwin because of the history.  It was bombed by the Japanese in WWII and it would have been interesting to see how they've memorialized that.   The fact we didn't make it up doesn't make me feel sad or regretful though.

Perth and Margaret River
Dewey spent six months here on exchange, so that was what made me want to visit.  The beaches here are supposed to be very nice too.  Again, not sad I didn't make it out.

If you are planning a trip to Oz, bring lots of money!!!  This place is expensive and rips you off in any way.  Don't worry too much about the spiders.  I never saw anything more then a Daddy Longlegs in the house and only saw two bigger ones outside.  Might be different if you go up north, but don't let people scare you with spider tales.  Same with snakes.  I imagine if you are out in the bush you'll see some, but I never did.  Be prepared for cockroaches though.  Those buggers come out when the weather gets hot and you'll find them inside and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment