Thursday, November 1, 2012

Decision... Made!


Sorry it's been awhile since I've written- it's been a busy and stressful few days!

Everyday I've been trying to decide what is the best decision- to stay in Oz or come home.  Last week I talked to my bosses about it and they said they want me to stay and would sponsor me on a working visa, but I had till the end of the week to decide!  Talk about pressure.

I spent every second stressing about what to do.  There was a lot of heated discussions with Joel (who's always been pro-Oz), many skype calls home, and a lot of tears.  I really didn't know what the right answer was.  I miss everyone at home a lot, as well as many Canadian comforts.  But I love Sydney and my job here.  Part of me was saying go home, you've had your adventure.  But another voice was saying stay.  Somewhere deep down I knew that going home to my old life would be a let down.  Not that life was bad, it was awesome, but I've grown so much in the last ten months that it would feel different going back.

The deciding factor ended up being my boss, Steve.  I told him I really didn't know what to do.  He said I'm a very talented stylist and awesome person and that he'd do whatever it took to keep me as part of the team.  He had so many wonderful things to say about me.  That was all I needed to hear to cement my choice.  Working at Detail is going to give me amazing opportunities that I would never have and I'm going to grow even more as a stylist.  I decided then and there that I'd go for it- do something a little scary and out of my comfort zone and stay in Oz! I have nothing to lose by staying.

So we will be living in Oz longer!  How long I'm not sure.  I made one big decision and a huge weight is off my shoulders, so I'm not in a rush to stress about the next step.  I know there are going to be a couple very upset friends and family in Canada about this, but I need to live my life for me and do what I need to do.

The visa that I'm applying for is a work sponsored visa.  I can stay and work for up to three years or terminate it sooner if I so choose.  As Joel is my spouse he is de facto on my visa.  We're getting started on application right away.

As far as coming home, I'm planning to be back for two weeks in January.  Still figuring out dates, as visa dates are a little restrictive of when I can travel.  I have a return already booked (we had to have one to be granted our current visa) so I just have to pay a change fee for a date change.  I've got enough airmiles to get back to Sydney from YEG.  Unfortunately we don't have enough money for Joel to come, so he'll be staying in Oz.  (He already got three weeks off when Dean was here anyway, now it's my turn!).  Hopefully I will have my dates confirmed soon and I'll let everyone know ASAP so I can fit a visit in with everyone!

Both Joel and I will be back mid to late August for three to four weeks.  I'm going to be a bridesmaid for my cousin Larissa (yay!)  on September 7, so I'll be home early for all the fun wedding festivities.  I'm so excited to get to be a bridesmaid again!  This was an unexpected surprise and I feel very honored to be asked to be a part of her special day!



No comments:

Post a Comment