Sunday, November 18, 2012

Australian Thanksgiving

 
A couple weeks ago we went over to our new friends Christina and Josh's for dinner.  It was our turn to return the favor this month.  Christina asked if we could do this dinner as an early Thanksgiving  (American Thanksgiving is next week).  We didn't celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving in October this year (Joel was on the road with Dean and Alana) so I thought that sounded good.

We had ham instead of turkey (which is expensive here), potatoes, salad, and garlic bread, along with a few bottles of wine.  I looked for pie for dessert but couldn't find any as it's not popular in Oz.  But we had an even better dessert- champagne jello shooters topped with pop rocks!  Pretty awesome.






To be like real US Thanksgiving, Christina and I went shopping for Christmas decorations today!  It's pretty odd shopping for that kind of stuff in summer weather, but we still had fun looking.  We ended up having the most luck at Ikea.  They have awesome decorations this year!  It was Christina's first time going to an Ikea and she's hooked!  And she got just excited as me in the storage and organization section, lol.  I picked up a few garland things to put up in our bedroom.  Debated on buying a little tree, but I think I'll just hang them over the windows.  Not sure how soon I'll get this up.  I also picked up some Christmas cards, as I'll have to send them out sooner to make sure they get delivered on time.  I have never brought anything Christmas related this early before!

I also bought a cheapie shelf for the bedroom at K-mart.  Our current storage situation is driving me nuts.  I put it together with a knife (why don't we have a screw driver?) so got a bit frustrated, but it's built and the closet seems a bit more organized now.  Now that I know we'll be here for awhile I'll be doing more of this.  I'm obsessed with organizing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment