Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"I Reckon..." and Other Aussie-isms

Today I thought I'd start with a little "English" lesson. We've been learning all sorts of new words and phrases. First off, when greeting someone, you say "How ya goin?", no hello. (This sounds lame in our Canadian accent so I'm sticking with "what's up" and "holla", my gangsta personal fav). The bathrooms are toilets (people look at you funny if you say washroom or bathroom), Jetta's are Bora's, winge is complain, and swears are casually thrown into any conversation in great number. It's not alot, it's heaps or massive. If something is expensive, it's "dearer". You don't think, you reckon. And make sure not to "drop your lunch" or "drop your gut" (farting) in front of others!
One of the apprentices at the shop, Kiarra, has been asking me all sorts of questions about Canada and couldn't quite grasp the concept that we have to plug our cars in and shovel off the snow in winter, or the pure fact that we go outside when it's so cold! I think she thinks I'm "taking to piss" (which she could be right in doing as I do tend to make up stories). I'm bringing her some pictures tomorrow so I can't wait to see her reaction! (Side note on the slavery of apprentices here- I did a perm today and she stood and passed me rods and papers and picked up anything I dropped. Wow. Nice to have someone do all mt neutralizing though!)
People can't drive here. They are not courteous to other drivers at all. This is driving me crazy.
In addition to driving on the opposite side of the road, voltage is 220. The plug heads are round and have two prongs that point inwards. You have a switch that turns your plug-in on or off, which I keep forgetting. I'm guessing this is because electricity is expensive- I'll know more in three months when we get our quarterly power bill!
Big news here this week: a few km's south of us there was a shark incident. A surfer was doing a fancy stunt and fell onto a shark, who got scared and then bit a big chunk into his leg. The surfer is ok now. Shark attacks are not common in this area, more in Western Australia. Needless to say the beach was empty of surfers today. There are some big elections about to happen. Queensland is having a state election for a premier on Saturday. I don't know if we can vote, as we are technically not residents according to Aussie tax, but do have an Aussie address so maybe we can? (as of now we aren't residents of Canada either). There is also a federal election coming up at some point too. I've also learned that Canberra, the country's capital, is the most boring place to visit and every Aussie I've spoken to has said to not bother visiting.
I forgot to mention yesterday that on Saturday Joel went golfing and met some new friends on the course- a heard of Western Coastal kangaroos!
I'm going to try and be a better blogger and post something on a more daily basis, even if it's just a quick note about the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment