Thursday, March 8, 2012

Brutis' Big Adventure and My Thoughts On Oz Drivers

This morning Joel and I drove into Brisbane to pick up his tools from the airport. As usual, Melba does not know that work has been done on the map, so she got us lost. We made it eventually (after much gas wasting and circle driving) and got all the paper and payments made. While we waited for the tools to come out of their quarantine inspection (EVERYTHING gets quarantined upon arrival to Oz) we headed to The Sizzler for lunch. Not sure what Sizzler is like in the US, but here it is like a Ricky's with a salad and dessert buffet. This is where Australia's 31% of obese people hang out. Joel liked his food, but I will never go back there again. After lunch it was back to the unaccompanied cargo area to load up Joel's tools in Brutis. Joel was happy to have his tools. Brutis was not happy to carry the extra 300 Ilbs. It was a long drive home.
Now for my rant on Australian drivers. They don't know how to use their signals, unless they are fighting you for the last parking spot ("I've been there for five minutes with my signal on!"). Roundabouts? No need to signal here either, it's funner for incoming traffic to guess which exit you'll be taking! They cut in front of you when a lane ends in the last second, even though there was a sign pointing the lane end for quite some time. Left hand turns (right hand turns in Canada) are not permitted unless the left turn light is on, which is a long wait most times. Joel thinks this cuts down on car accidents as the drivers are so clued out. If you adapt the Aussie road rules, prepare to get some angry looks from fellow Aussies who do these things themselves only five minutes before you do!
On the job front, I have a trial at a salon tomorrow. I'm going to be doing the managers hair. I hope it goes well and I get the job! Even though it's only part time, I would love some money. No other leads though. I spent yesterday applying at various hotels. I was tipped off that they have an employment center that helps you find jobs, so I went there to register today and hope for some help. After waiting in line, talking on the phone to an advisor, speaking to two more people in house, I learned that I had wasted my time (and people there are clued out about their jobs) because this service is only open to Australian residents. Grrr. Also the Gold Coast has a record low unemployment rate right now of 10%. Every time I hand in a resume I can tell the employer is thanking God they have a job, even if they hate it. Alot of businesses are closed due to the slower economy- I see these signs all over the place.
Nothing else really new to report. Life thus far is pretty boring, as we are pinching our pennies. I did go for a walk along the Nerang River yesterday as the weather was so beautiful. This river runs all through the Gold Coast. People boat along it, but you better not fall in- there are sharks lurking in the water.
Also for anyone following the news and worried about flooding, we are fine here. The state bellow us, New South Wales, is having a lot of problems though, and I think some of the rivers north of us are at record highs, but we are fine. There was a cyclone warning on Tuesday, but it blew off the coast and the warning was lifted. I've been told because we sit on the ocean, there isn't much worry for floods, as opposed to a city that sits on a river.

PS- I give up on the pictures, this internet is way too slow!

No comments:

Post a Comment