Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Kangaroos or Maple Leaves?


We are getting close to the day when we have to decide how long we'll be staying in Oz.  Our current visa expires February 8, but both our employers have offered to sponsor us on longer working visas (both our trades are needed here).  Joel loves Australia and wants to stay longer.  I am much happier in Sydney (wish we came here first thing and am trying to erase life on the Gold Coast from my memory!).  We are making good money, have good jobs, and are making friends.  I do still miss everyone back home and wish I wasn't so far, but my homesickness is not as bad as it was.
 
I talked to my travel agent the other day and the last return date we can change our flight to is February 6, 2013, otherwise the flight gets cancelled and we lose the money.  We decided we're going to change the return date to that day.  That gives us four more months to figure out what to do.

I am constantly thinking about what choice is right.  We have nothing to lose by staying longer.  I know in my heart we will return to Canada one day, but maybe staying longer isn't so bad?

I've got two choices.
a) get the most out of our time here as possible, then go home Feb 6.  Catch up with friends and family, eat my comfort foods, and veg for a bit before finding new jobs etc.  We'll have to decide what city to live in and start fresh again, as Joel is adamant on no Edmonton.  If coming home isn't all it's cracked up to be, we could ask our current employers to sponsor us and go back to Oz.  We might feel once we get back that we liked Sydney.
b) stay in Oz.  We'll lose the money for our flight home, but not the end of the world.  Continue working, pay off some debt (we make more here and are able to pay stuff down faster), explore more of Oz and enjoy being a Sydneysider.  I'm at one of Sydney's best salons and the opportunities offered here could really advance my career.  The only major con to staying is being far from friends and family and missing things like birthdays, weddings, and other celebrations.  I missed alot of weddings this year which made me sad.

I would love some input.  What would you do if given the choice to stay longer in Oz?  Take the adventure or go home?  Leave a comment or send me an email- the more thoughts the better!

1 comment:

  1. I would like you guys to be here when my baby is born.

    ReplyDelete