Monday, June 25, 2012

Now That's More Like It!


This trip is finally starting to go the way I had imagined it! Before we arrived I had dreams that once a month we'd be off on a weekend trip to explore a new city.  As funds have been tight, that hasn't really happened.  But next month I will be making up for it!

Yesterday I booked a long weekend trip for Joel and I to the Whitsunday Islands at the end of July.  These islands are supposed to have to most beautiful beaches in the country (and rank in the world's top too) and have been highly recommended by everyone who's ever been to Oz.  I got a wicked deal online, so I thought we'd go for it while we're still up in Queensland.

Next week my parents are here!  They'll be up on the Gold Coast with us for under a week, then we're all flying down to Adelaide, which is on the southern coast.  We'll check out the city and do a winery tour (this is where a tons of Aussie wineries are located), then drive the famous Great Ocean Road (a highway along the coast) to Melbourne.  Should be an interesting road trip!

I'm feeling pretty proud of myself, I haven't felt homesick once this month!  When we were debating  about getting longer stay visas I was so stressed that I couldn't enjoy my time here, but now that there is a return date in sight I have a totally different outlook on things.  I feel more confidant about life now, especially my work.  I'm starting to like and appreciate Australia alot more and just enjoy every small moment, like being able to walk to the beach whenever I please and having a winter without snow! 

I found this great quote today which I think really applies to the adventure I'm on.  (I wish I had this a few months ago when I was regretting being here.)


I've been doing so much research on all the amazing things to see and do in Australia that it makes me wonder why so many Aussies haven't traveled around their own country to see these places.  I had a chat with my boss about this and she said that Canadians are probably the same, and would pick visiting the treasures of another country rather then our own. This is so true!  Now this has got me on a kick on researching Canada's sights to see how many I've been to.  I've seen almost all the main "tourist" places in the west (including alot of the "world's largest"- shout out to Dewey), but nothing further east then Ottawa/Gatineau.  Maybe my next trip will be in my own backyard to check out what my amazing country has to offer?

No comments:

Post a Comment