Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Quick Update About This and That

Today I start work a little later (ten o'clock) and have a few minutes before I need to leave, so thought I'd cuddle up in bed for awhile and blog.

First, we finally got a NEW bed!  I had low hopes when it was first delivered, but now that we have all our bedding on it it's pretty nice.  Not so springy.  However the last few nights I've been having a hard time falling asleep (my mind doesn't like to shut off at bed time) and when I do I've been having bizarre nightmares.

Last night I had a color class.  We had to bring in model's for a complete restyle.  Thankfully Michelle's mom, who has just moved to the Gold Coast from New Zealand, was able to be my model.  At first I was really frustrated, because as always our trainer Tamara made me feel stupid and like I don't know anything.  Marina, the salon manager, came over and spent time showing me different foiling techniques and was more patient.  I really like what she showed me and she was impressed that I was willing to go out of my comfort zone and try something new.  She gave me a few tiny tips for cutting and blowdrying (or blow waving as they call it here) too, so by the end of the class I was feeling more confident.  My color and cut turned out beautifully and I felt better.  Our next class isn't for another month, so thank God I don't have to see Tamara for awhile.

Joel and I are hoping to plan a long weekend getaway to the Whitsundays next month over the Queen's Birthday long weekend.  We thought a little getaway from life and a chance to explore a new area would be good.  I got the ok for some time off, today he'll find out if he can take a few days.  The airfare to get there is alot less then I thought.  Now to find a good deal on a hotel!

I want to mention a few things about the "news" in Australia.  There's not much news to report (aside from how crap their government is), so the news mostly contains recaps and gossip from reality shows.  Reality TV is a big deal here and EVERYONE watches it.  There is Australian X-factor, The Voice, Dancing with the Stars, My Kitchen Rules, Master Chef, and the Biggest Loser.  When there is "news" it's usually lame stories like "angry granny" (an angry senior who harasses her neighbors).  There does seem to be a few bits of crime.  Mostly bikies (motor cycle groups) who cause havoc across the country.  They interviewed an older bikie and he said things are "way worse now" than in his time.  Another big article last night was how expensive life is here.  Ikea's prices in Australia are 70% higher then in the US!

On Monday I had a shorter work day (slow day) so checked out a few scrapbooking stores here.  I went to the Kaiser Craft Outlet, which is pretty good and full of lots of things you wouldn't find in Canada.  The next store was in the most awful shopping center and was so small and full of outdated products that I spent an entire two minutes in there and left!  I hope I have more goodies coming from TM soon!

The weather here is still beautiful.  It's been sunny everyday with barely any clouds.  Yesterday was 21 degrees and everyone was in boots and scarves and complaining how cold it was.  Right.  I've been doing my work outs upstairs on the rooftop which I love.  What better way to workout then in the sun with the wind blowing and the ocean in your line of vision?  No ones up there during the day.  No one's ever at the pool either.  Joel and I laugh because everyone must look at us crazy for going in when it's "so cold".

I'm starting to get more comfortable here.  I have accepted the fact that although it might not be "home", it is home for now and I need to make the best of things.  When I have a bad day I know I can always come home to big hugs from Joel, and that always makes things better.  I still miss everyone, but I know it will just be that much better when I see you all again next year!

That's all for today, time to head to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment